Sunday, May 3, 2009

Building Blocks & Enchiladas


Today I spent my lazy Sunday morning/early afternoon baking blocks (oops, I mean bread). After my success making honey oatmeal bread on Wednesday, I was the master of baking. So, instead of buying bread at the store this week, I decided to make my own. So confident was I that I decided to bake two loaves of a new recipe (recipe will remain anonymous for now since the end result was likely an error in execution). Wow, big mistake. Not only did I bake a new recipe, I used a different kind of yeast, which cost big-time when it came to the dough's rising. Following over 2 1/2 hours of rising time (on the second rise), I figured it wasn't going to get any better and baked the loaves. They came out resembling bricks, but do taste okay despite being so dense. Oh well, just one stumble as I take steps towards becoming a master baker :-)...


On the other hand, dinner was a huge hit as I made Cooking Light's black bean, corn, and zucchini enchiladas along with the homemade sauce. Instead of using low-fat cheese, I used 2/3 of a block of monterey jack/cheddar cheese. This recipe is very easy. I served it with a
side of sauteed zucchini, onion, and squash seasoned with salt and garlic powder.

In other news, the herb garden has come under attack by some miniscule munchers. I will have to order a book on organic gardening or order some organic pesticide...

No comments:

Post a Comment