Friday, November 26, 2010

Baking Bonanza: Flax Pancakes

Time for Baking Bonanza Part 2: Flax Pancakes. (And for those of you thinking that you have to have an oven to bake, please note that Dictionary.com defines baking as “to cook by dry heat in an oven or on heated metal or stone.”) I made these for breakfast on Thanksgiving morning. We needed a special treat for the holiday since we ate in the living room and watched the Macy’s Parade, but I wanted something kind of healthy since we were going to indulge later in the day. These are pretty good—I was afraid they would be kind of chalky, but they’re tender and have great flavor. They’re not really sweet, which was nice, too.

I also cooked some bacon to go with our pancakes.



A certain puppy was very interested in the bacon...

Isn't he the cutest puppy ever? Awww!!!

The original pancake recipe can be found on the King Arthur Flour website. And yes, I’m obsessed with King Arthur—love their flour and recipes!

Here’s the recipe with my modifications.

Flax Pancakes (makes about 16 pancakes)
¾ cup All-purpose flour
¾ cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup dried skim milk
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/3 cup flaxseed meal
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons of canola oil
1 ½ cups water

Whisk all the dry ingredients together in a bowl, then add in the wet ingredients. Whisk the mixture together until combine, and then let it rest for 10 minutes.



In the meantime, preheat an electric griddle to 350 degrees, and very lightly grease the griddle with butter (I usually grease it, and then take a paper towel to gently wipe up the excess butter).

Now you’re ready to cook your pancakes. Pour ¼ cup of batter into the hot griddle. They’re ready to flip when the cake starts to bubble in the center and the edges start to set. It only takes a couple of minutes per side, so don’t walk away.




Hubby ate these with butter and syrup, but I went with cranberry sauce for the Thanksgiving feel. Even hubby liked the flax pancakes, so we will definitely be seeing these on our table again.

I was so hungry by the time I made these (I'd been up for several hours and had done a super tough cardio video) I forgot to snap a photo of them on the plate. At least I got a photo of them in the griddle pan :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment