Friday, January 14, 2011

Potato and Canadian Bacon Slow Cooker Chowder

I had such high hopes for this recipe (partly from my mother's comment of "This is so good I'd make it for company") I started writing this blog before I even tasted the soup.

This is easy to make and very satisfying on a 25 degree day with snow blowing everywhere. It's really thick and comforting. And of course you must eat this with bread.




Potato and Canadian Bacon Slow Cooker Chowder (4 servings)
2 cups uncooked russet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 large carrot, diced
1 onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
4 1/2 cups of chicken stock (I recommend homemade--it's not hard to make)*
1/2 cup uncooked barley
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
Black Pepper
5 oz. Canadian bacon, cut into 1/4 pieces
1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
2 oz. fat-free half & half

Seriously, this couldn't be any easier. Combine the vegetables, broth, barley, bay leaf, thyme, and bacon in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for at least 6 hours (I let it cook for 10 hours since I had to be at work all day).

About 10 minutes before you are ready to eat, stir in the evaporated milk and half-and-half, and allow the mixture to heat through.

I did add a little bit of hot sauce to mine, but I like food with a little kick ;-).

Next time I make this I'm doubling recipe since we only got four servings out of it. I think I will also increase the amount of thyme.

*Since I was letting this cook a lot longer than the recommended 6 hours, I added about 1/2 cup more stock for a total of 4 1/2 cups. If you cooking it for 6 hours, I'd stick with 4 cups of broth/stock).

No comments:

Post a Comment