Sunday, October 18, 2009

Roasted Chicken with Garlic and Herbs & Roasted Garlic Gravy


Friday was fun day since we had the day off from work. It was one of those dreary, cloudy days that just begged for some comfort food. I decided to roast a chicken for dinner. I wasn’t  sure what to do to add some flavor, but then I remembered my little herb pot out back, so I headed out to see what I could find.

There was a little bit of parsley, and a whole bunch of sage and thyme, which met their end at the blade of a knife.

 ‘This is a good start’, I thought to myself. ‘But what else can I add?’

Then I recalled the large jar of minced garlic in the fridge. Yum- fresh herbs, garlic, with a little bit of salt and pepper added in, would make a great rub for the chicken.

After I rinsed the chicken and patted it dry, I rubbed the herb/garlic/salt/pepper mixture under the skin. Then I trussed the chicken (not sure if it’s the proper way to truss, but it looked almost identical to the illustration in the Joy of Cooking), put it in a casserole dish, coated the outside with olive oil, seasoned the skin with salt and pepper, and put it in a 350 degree oven.




Two hours later, I had a beautiful chicken.

While the chicken roasted, I cooked green beans. After I took the chickens out to rest, I also baked some made-from-scratch biscuits and made roasted garlic gravy. I was so excited to eat I forgot to take a photo of the whole bird before it was carved. Oh well, at least I got a photo before we ate it all.

And of course we had to have dessert after such a great meal—look for what I baked in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment